Is Residential Mold Making You Sick?

0

Is Residual Mold Making You Sick?

Do you know what mycotoxins are? Even if you don’t, they may be closer to you than you think. They are what residential mold give off into your household air. The symptoms that they trigger in people are sometimes confused with the ones that come from things like pet pollen, but can be much more harmful over time. The vapors themselves are poisonous, and NIMS (the National Indoor Mold Society) estimates that there are almost half a million people that die annually from toxic mold exposure. The thing is, folks don’t know that they are hurt until it is too late.

   There have been some really large settlements from lawsuits over the years when it comes to mold. One of the most memorable ones was a huge class action suit from over a decade ago that still stands out in the minds of landlords and homeowners everywhere. Stucco was a product that was used in the construction of walls in new residences, and was produced by a company called Finesone. They used the synthetic product in many homes in a residential area in Houston, TX. The community, which was called The Woodlands, had about 70 families sue them for improperly installing it, because there was a major amount of moisture buildup within the walls of their houses. As many of us know, where there is moisture there is mold, and one young girl in the community (among many other people there) had large black pockets of it inside her bedroom walls and became really ill from it. Millions of dollars later and for years after that, other companies are beginning to correct the problem of possible toxic buildup in the homes that they are developing.

   The EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) has been warning families against the hazards that mold can cause for years. As long as there are showers, refrigerators, and other damp places in our homes there is no way that we can stop the possibility of mold, except to tackle the small instances of it ourselves. It’s as simple as keeping moist places dry and clean, and the extra effort is definitely worth doing when it comes to your family’s overall health.

   Sometimes, though, there are instances where you had no idea that your home was mold-infested. An example would be like if you walked into the basement of a new place that you’ve recently purchased and spot a huge buildup of it behind a place like a water heater. You are probably going to pay the remediation company to come in and take care of it initially, but who is supposed to reimburse you? And, if they don’t pay you promptly or willingly, who is it that you are supposed to sue? Well, it could be anyone from the prior owner (who probably just “forgot” to tell you about it), to the contractors (who may have built things or didn’t vent certain areas correctly), to the landlord (who knows the property up and down and still just stuck you in a place with an infestation).

   It’s imperative that you fix the problem of toxic mold in your residence. Just because you can’t immediately see it harming you doesn’t mean that it isn’t.

     

   

 

Sources:

  1. Who to Sue for Toxic Mold. Nolo. Retrieved from https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/toxic-mold-who-sue-29622.html  

30 May 2001. Families Sue Over Mold Infested Homes. The Associated Press. Retrieved from http://amarillo.com/stories/2001/05/30/tex_sueover.shtml

  1. Mold Remediation in Schools and Commercial Buildings. EPA. Retrieved from http://www.epa.gov/mold/append_b.html
  2. Lillard, S. Mold…What is it all about? Mold Help.org. Retrieved from http://www.mold-help.org/
Share.

About Author

Leave A Reply